Sunday, March 30, 2014

Coconut Deliciousness

First, I have two loose ends to tie up.  In this post, I made a reference to a quote from a show that no one identified.  The show was called The State and my sisters thought it was the funniest thing on tv in the mid 90s.

Second, in this post,  I asked you to please visit the website where my sister is competing in Project Run and Play and vote for her Sunbonnet Panda Pinafore.  If you voted for her, thank you!  She made it through the week without elimination, and she'll  be back with another unique outfit on Tuesday.  I'll be asking you to go back and vote again, so be ready!

Now, on with the show.

I found and pinned this recipe for Chocolate Coconut bread recently and then, as I do with many recipes, I thought about it a lot.

Like 3-4 times a day.

That's what I do when I'm contemplating a new craft, a new way to try quilting that won't make me swear or when I think there's a recipe I want to make.

It's also how I get off track and the idea becomes something very different from what it was and when I go to make it, the picture is totally different than what I want at that very moment and I'm afraid it's not going to work.

I had the idea in my mind that these were more cookies than breads.  Like macaroons, probably.

I decided to make these mini loaves as one large loaf and I am not at all disappointed.

I didn't have coconut or evaporated milk on hand.  I don't think I've ever bought evaporated milk  before, actually.  I totally do not understand what evaporated milk is or how it is different from sweetened condensed milk.  In my mind, they are both milk in a can and it sort of grosses me out.

Anymilk, I now have extra evaporated milk because this calls for the 5oz can and I bought the 12oz can.

Before I put it in the oven, I was amused that everything in this picture is a pampered chef item.

Everything except the pan in the background and the flour canisters, that is.  I cannot make a meal without using a Pampered Chef tool, spice blend or pan!

As this was almost finished, the smell in my kitchen was extremely familiar.  The taste of this bread is something I know well, but I can't place it.  It's like I've had this before but I don't remember ever putting these ingredients together.


I like the coconut flavor and texture.  There aren't big hunks of coconut in it, and it's actually like the coconut just melted into the bread.

As the original post mentions, the lack of butter or oil is totally not noticeable.  It's plenty moist but not rubbery like things can sometimes be when you use yogurt in place of oils.

I also think you could make them as small cookies which would be like mini breads.

If you're a fan of coconut, chocolate chips and trying to save some calories when eating them, go get the recipe!

2 comments:

  1. That does sound pretty tasty. I am sure I would find a way to ruin it, though. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love summer. I reply to all comments except those ridiculous anonymous comments offering me dirty deeds and real estate. When you leave your comment, please make sure your own settings will allow me to reply to you. Nothing makes me sadder than replying to your comments and then realizing it’s going to the no-reply@blogger address!