Monday, November 18, 2013

A Casserole Time Of Year

My mother used to make this chicken casserole dish and I had a hankering for it the other day.   I am not a big maker of casseroles but I like this one.

I also hadn't had a cream of mushroom soup in a while and figured I was due for a dose of the most outrageous ingredients you can imagine.  Have you ever read the ingredients on a cream of anything soup?

Frightening.

I also wanted a reason to use my Deep Covered Baker from Pampered Chef and I figured this was a good reason.  Especially since this called for a cover while cooking.


It occurred to me as I made this that most of the meals I make require me to stand at the stove and saute something or stand at the grill and check on something.  I very rarely make something that goes into the oven for a half hour or more and then is magically ready and all I have to do is steam some green beans.


It was kind of nice to "fix it and forget it" for a while.

It also surprised me how salty this tasted and I definitely didn't add salt.  Low salt cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup would be my plan next time around.

The recipe says to cook for a half hour but it ended up being 55 minutes.  I don't know if the chicken breasts I used were thicker than recommended or what.  I made sure the oven was at 400 and I had the cover on, so it's a mystery.

K-ster liked it too.

And the green beans have some cheese on them because k-ster gets tired of plain, steamed green beans.

The beans are from my garden.  I blanched 5 of those gallon zip lock bags and froze them.  Normally, I don't get around to blanching more than 2 and they don't last long.  This might get us through January.

Linking here:
http://www.skiptomylou.org
http://www.cherishedhandmadetreasures.com
http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/11/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-link_19.html
http://thefrugalgirls.com/2013/11/chic-and-crafty-party-11-21.html 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesday's Adorned Link Party. Have a great Thanksgiving.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love summer. I reply to all comments except those ridiculous anonymous comments offering me dirty deeds and real estate. When you leave your comment, please make sure your own settings will allow me to reply to you. Nothing makes me sadder than replying to your comments and then realizing it’s going to the no-reply@blogger address!