Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Who Do I Think I Am, Dr. Phil?

I am NOT a New Year's Resolutions maker.  It's not because  I'm afraid I can't stick to them.  Or that I'm afraid I will have to make too many changes.

It's because throughout the year, I make decisions and actually follow through with them.  Maybe I should start calling them resolutions.  Like some random day in March, I'll decide that from now on, I will plant peas in the greenhouse in March to put in the ground as soon as they are tall enough to look healthy. 

And then, sit down for this one, I'll do it because I said I would! 

This is not a major resolution, but it's a decision I make and without fanfare, I accomplish it.

These crazy people who have to spout their resolutions all over the place just make me gag.  Especially when they then have to cry all about how it's January 2 and they've already broken their resolutions.

It's called willpower and I have some but I don't save it all for January 1.  I guess that's the difference.  You have to choose to do something that you can actually accomplish within reason.  Something you know you will do and see it through.  And you can't save them all up for one day. 

Especially when it's usually a night known as a  drunkfest for many and they'll resolve to do anything because it all sounds like a good idea at the time. 

For example, I thought it would be a good idea to vacuum the living room every single night.  I thought it would cut down on the mess and it wouldn't be such a big deal, right?  So, for a week, I did it.  And it made no difference.  Every night was the same amount of crap sucked up in the cannister and no one cared.  So I stopped. 

I didn't fail at a resolution, I made a decision, didn't see the point, and stopped doing it.  I didn't lament the fact that I FAILED at vacuuming every night.  I didn't call the presses and cry about how I might as well just dump trash on the floor because I have no willpower!   I didn't throw away every vacuum in sight because my own house looked sandy. 

I decided to go back to vacuuming whenever the mood strikes.

So, my point was to share that I decided, that before I go to bed, I don't care how tired I am or how big the mess is, I will leave the sink and stove like this.

 
 
That's right.  Clean as a whistle.  I'm even going so far as to spray my vinegar/ammonia cleaner all over the sink and leaving it all night to sparkle and shine. 
 
And since I have this thing called willpower, and I made a decision, I've been doing it for over a week and it's completely amazing.
 
There is nothing like getting up to make oatmeal and lunches and find the sink completely clear of dishes.  Nothing on the stove but the pan to heat water.  And this is one decision I will absolutely stick with because it's making my life better.  Why didn't I think of this years ago????
 
So, if you made wild ass resolutions like you're going to run a marathon this year, when you've never run down the street, think about what you're setting yourself up for.  Make a decision to do something smaller.  Like by the spring, I'll be able to run a mile or two or three.  And then when you get there, make another one like by July, I'll do a 5K or a 10K.  And then when you get there, decide you'll do a marathon.
 
Rather than state that you're going to lose those 50 pounds, break it down.  Decide to work on losing 10 in a reasonable amount of time.  Decide that like it or not, you have to change what you eat and how active you are.  When you lose 10, make another goal, etc. 
 
It just doesn't make sense to make giant promises that you know as you say them, you can't possibly keep.  Or that you will make everyone so miserable in the process, it won't really be an accomplishment.
 
Ok, I have no idea who just typed this post because I am not one to philosophize online.  I must have been channeling Dr. Phil. 
 
Sorry, I'm sure I'll have a picture of my butt up here really soon.  That's not a promise or a resolution.
 
It's a threat.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a resolution person either. I like the idea of resetting, but really every Monday is that for me :)
    I will say it's been four days and I've cleaned the dishes every night too. And you know what a shock that is! I have a feeling it won't last. We'll see next Monday.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love summer. I reply to all comments except those ridiculous anonymous comments offering me dirty deeds and real estate. When you leave your comment, please make sure your own settings will allow me to reply to you. Nothing makes me sadder than replying to your comments and then realizing it’s going to the no-reply@blogger address!