Thursday, December 20, 2012

Make These Rolls This Christmas And Everyone Will Kiss the Cook

On second thought, you don't really want all those winter germs, do you?  Make them for yourself so you can taste the beauty that is these rolls and freeze the rest for later.  Then wow everyone by making them at Easter.  Fewer germs then.

My sister and I now have the same bread machine and sometimes compare what we've done with the recipes.  She's had hers much longer and has had time to try other recipes, outside of the book that came with it. 

When I had my big aha moment a month ago and realized that I could take the dough and make rolls for sandwiches, everything in my life changed.  I have not bought bread in many weeks, maybe over a month now, thanks to regular bread that I made for sandwiches (not a fan, but k-ster is) and recently the most amazing sandwich rolls.

When I mentioned the way we play fast and loose with burning the storebought rolls every Christmas, my sister sent me this recipe and said they were a hit at Thanksgiving.

I made them this weekend to be sure I had the recipe right.  If I didn't die and go right to heaven, then I don't know what I did.  These things blew me away.



The recipe said 4 cups of flour, which is much more than my bread machine recipes say to use, so I was worried that it would be way too much.  My sister assured me it would be fine and it was.  I took out the gorgeous ball of dough and made the little rolls, all snug in their stoneware and put it on the radiator with a towel over it for like 40 minutes.

I don't usually brush the tops of my rolls with anything, but the recipe said to brush on butter and honey, so I did. They look spectacular!  Like I knew what I was doing.

And the taste?  I can't even begin to explain.


They are pretty dense, not crusty and airy like a French roll.  They would be fantastic at breakfast.  Or a snack.  Or pretty much any time, EVER.  I could drop this in the dirt and still enjoy eating it. 

The recipe made 20 little rolls.  I wouldn't go any smaller than what I did.  I might make them larger if I was making them for breakfast or for a brunch, but not for a holiday meal.   I kept out a few so k-ster could taste them and froze the rest for a nice surprise another day! 

He was also blown away by their amazingness. 

I'm debating doubling the recipe for Christmas.  But I wouldn't want to see everyone roll out the door, so maybe I'll just make one batch.

Linking here and here and here and here and here

And don't forget to check out the P&G online store to get some fantastic deals!  If you're going to be kissing any cooks,  I especially like these electric toothbrushes!

5 comments:

  1. These rolls look amazing. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this with everyone. It runs from Wednesday through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/12/6-crafts-and-recipes-and-wednesdays.html
    Debi @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only am I tasting them in an imaginary sorta way, but I can smell them as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acutally, there was nothing remarkable about the smell of them baking. They smelled good, like good bread should smell, but they taste far more amazing than they smell!

      Delete
  3. I really should use my breadmaker more! You make these rolls sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. Today’s party is live. Here is the link.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/01/week-in-review-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love summer. I reply to all comments except those ridiculous anonymous comments offering me dirty deeds and real estate. When you leave your comment, please make sure your own settings will allow me to reply to you. Nothing makes me sadder than replying to your comments and then realizing it’s going to the no-reply@blogger address!