Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken

I'm warning you now, as delicious as this is, you will have a naked-looking chicken when you're done.

My sister a-ster asked me if I'd ever done a chicken in a crock pot this summer and after lots of research, I gave it a try.  She gave it a try.  My mother gave it a try.  The whole neighborhood gave it a try.

Ok, I have no idea if the neighborhood tried it because no one talks to each other in this neighborhood.

All I know is that a-ster and I will never go back to roasting chicken in the oven.  I'm not sure what my mother thought.  She'll have to give her two cents in the comments. 

And I'm not sure if e-ster tried it.  She rarely reads my entire post, so who knows if she'll make it down to the comments.

I simply take a whole chicken and put it in the crockpot with nothing.  Not even water.  I'm serious!!  I cook it on high for about one hour per pound, though really, I think I end up taking it out before then.  I'd almost say you could do 1/2 hour per pound on high but  I haven't tried it yet.

When I get is an amazing chicken.  It's so thoroughly cooked, it just falls off the bone.  I have never been able to get every piece of meat off the bone, but cook it in the crock pot and you'll have no trouble.

It looks like this before AND after it's cooked.  (If you put onions and red pepper like I did the first time.)



If you care about presentation, you might be sad to serve a completely naked bird that looks raw.  Or at least, my friend was, so she thought she'd put it under the broiler.  That totally ruined it and made it so dry, no one would eat it.  So, I don't know how you could brown it up if you're trying to serve a roasted chicken.

I mostly do this for the meat.  I cook it one day but use it the next.

Some recipes say to put all kinds of spices and onions and stuff. 

I seriously think it's very tasty with nothing and the liquid is all produced as it cooks so you don't need to add water.

I know.  I  was very skeptical too.  But I tell the truth when I say you put it in, turn it on and walk away for hours.  It's great to put in when you get home from work so that you'll have chicken the next day.  Because there's nothing to add, it's really no fuss once you get it in there.  And then you let it cool and put it in the refrigerator to deal with for supper the next night.

Toward the end, I have put in potatoes and carrots to roast and they've been great.  I wouldn't put them in at the beginning because they will just about liquify and turn to soup.

And you might know what k-ster thinks about soup.

Oh, and they aren't kidding when they say this on the outside of the crockpot:

 
Linking up this delicious nonsense right here.

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! Another way to feed my family during the two months I'll have without a kitchen. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments almost as much as I love summer. I reply to all comments except those ridiculous anonymous comments offering me dirty deeds and real estate. When you leave your comment, please make sure your own settings will allow me to reply to you. Nothing makes me sadder than replying to your comments and then realizing it’s going to the no-reply@blogger address!